St John’s Winchester Moorside Nursing Home is taking part in the Care Home Open day on Saturday 21st April from 12 – 3.30pm to encourage prospective employees to learn about the home’s opportunities for care assistants and nurses, and to invite local people to hear about its care services.
Community connections have been nurtured by Moorside since opening in 1996. The home acts as a community hub and regularly hosts a Reminiscence Café, run in association with the Winchester Rotary Club, where staff and volunteers team up to support local people living with dementia and their carers. Children and staff from nearby Yellow Dot Nursery also visit regularly to interact with residents as part of a Smiling Together project.
Within the Open Day, Matron Deborah Macartney and her team are hosting a range of activities:
- Hourly short presentations about Moorside, its care services and recruitment opportunities
- Senior nursing team on hand to discuss the home’s current vacancies for care assistants (day and night shifts), as well as full-time and bank posts for RGNs or RMNs, both day and night
- Principal Carer available to talk about the care assistant role
- Activities Coordinator on hand to promote the home’s events and activities programme
- Interactive activity with residents and staff in the Winchester lounge
- Reminiscence activities with residents, staff and volunteers
- Tea with residents in Winchester Lounge at 3pm
- Details of Moorside’s community projects including the shop, garden refurbishment, and the trailblazing red bag initiative which helps care home residents when they need to go to hospital in an emergency
- St John’s Winchester video running during the day.
Deborah Macartney said: “We hope local people will come along and see Moorside in action. This open day is a great way to show the excellent services on offer and the fantastic work that goes on at Moorside. It’s also a chance to encourage potential staff members to come along and meet our team and learn about the rewarding and enriching roles on offer.”