- The opportunity to do something that will really count for a person in need;
- The chance to make new friends and social connections with our staff, scheme members and fellow volunteers;
- Being an integral part of the St John’s family — our Charity has a great reputation for compassion, dedication and simply getting things done!
- Detailed induction and ongoing training;
- Strong professional guidance and mutual support through regular contact with volunteers and staff;
- ‘One to one’ sessions with our professional team – as you’re part of our community, we want to support you, listen to your feedback and welcome your suggestions for improvements to our service!
- Reimbursement of expenses;
- Regular recognition and appreciation of what you do.
What do we ask of you?
The role is dynamic and will make a real, genuine impact. We will always try and match the needs of our scheme member with your individual skill sets and preferences, meaning that you can choose to participate in any of the following roles:
- Befriend our scheme members through companionship and support, with the backing of St John’s Hand in Hand staff and third party services;
- Assist our staff to undertake ‘Living Well’ discussions with potential scheme members;
- Spend active time with scheme members in ways that will make a real difference in their daily lives, e.g. going to appointments, a walk in the park, taking a scheme member to a club or to the shop;
- Support our staff in keeping our Hand in Hand database up to date;
- Help to organise collective ‘get togethers’ of scheme members;
- Participate in volunteers’ meetings and networking;
- Lend a hand to set up a club that is dedicated to welcoming scheme members.
For more information or to apply to be a volunteer, click here.