What do we ask of you?
The role is flexible and you will make a genuine impact. With your support as a volunteer, you are helping to improve the wellbeing of local older residents in the Winchester community. We will always try and match the needs of our scheme member with your individual skill sets and preferences, meaning that you can choose to participate in any of the following key roles and responsibilities:
- Help our scheme members by offering friendship and support, with the backing of St John’s Hand in Hand staff and third party services
- Assist our staff to undertake ‘Living Well’ discussions with potential scheme members
- Spend active time with scheme members in ways that will make a real difference in their daily lives, e.g. introducing them to a new club
- Support our staff in keeping our Hand in Hand database up to date
- Help to organise collective ‘get togethers’ of scheme members
- Participate in volunteers’ meetings and networking
- Lend a hand to set up a club that is dedicated to welcoming scheme members.
What are the benefits of being a volunteer?
There are many benefits to volunteering, which can help to boost your own wellbeing.
- Do something that will really count for a local person in need
- The chance to make new friends and connections
- Become an integral part of the St John’s family; we have a long history of over nine centuries and have a great reputation in the local community
- Details induction and ongoing training
- Guidance and mutual support through regular contact with other volunteers and staff members
- ‘One to one’ contact (either face-to-face or on the phone) with our professional team. We will support you, listen to your feedback and welcome and suggestions for improvements to our service
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Regular recognition and appreciation for what you do.
I volunteer as part of St John’s Hand in Hand. The lady that I support and visit has helped me so much. I am getting a great deal out of it myself.”Bob, Hand in Hand volunteer
Hand in Hand Office:
Basement 47 Southgate Street, Winchester SO23 9EH
Tel: 01962 827795